Nuts and seeds are an excellent source of protein in a gout diet, because:
- Most nuts and seeds are low in purine content.
- The oils in nuts and seeds are high in healthy fats, which helps reduce the inflammation and pain of gout.
- Nuts and Seeds are good sources of the vitamins and minerals needed to make your body gout-proof.
Purines in Nuts and Seeds
Foods below 50mg purines per 100 grams (3.5 ounces) are considered to have low purine levels. Most nuts and seeds, except for peanuts which are actually legumes, have low purine content as follows:
- Peanuts – 79
- Sunflower seeds – 40
- Hazelnuts – 37
- Flax seeds – 28
- Walnuts and Brazil Nuts – 25
- Almonds and Pecans – 10
Oxalic Acid in Nuts and Seeds
Some nuts and seeds are high in a substance called oxalic acid that can lead to kidneys stones, which will not help you win the war on gout.
- The following are highest in oxalic acid and should be avoided: Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, pine nuts, and sesame seeds.
- The following are moderate to low in oxalic acid and can be enjoyed: macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, coconut meat, pumpkin and squash seeds, flax and sunflower seeds.
Avoid Rancid Oils
Nuts and seeds have a high percentage of poly and mono-unsaturated oils, which makes them very healthy to eat, but more prone to spoiling or “going rancid”. Rancid oils and fats are toxic to the body, and should be avoided.
Tips for buying and storing nuts and seeds:
- Buy them whole, not chopped or sliced.
- Buy them raw, not roasted or heated in any way. (You can toast them right before you eat them).
- Buy them from stores with a high volume business, so they will not have been sitting on the shelf too long.
- If possible, buy them from grocers that store them in refrigerators or freezers.
- When you bring them home, store them in airtight containers inside the refrigerator or freezer.
Bottom Line – Nuts and seeds can be enjoyed in moderation on your gout diet, but should always be consumed fresh and not rancid.
Are you in gout pain right now? I discovered through 18 years of research and my own experience with gout that there are three simple food items can KILL your gout pain within 4 to 6 hours. I put my Kill Gout FORMULA and more into a 54 page "Handbook" that you can buy (only $19.99!) and download right now! Gout Pain Gone - GUARANTEED!
I apologize that I wasn't there to help you with your last gout attack - but I am now AND I am absolutely dead certain that we can prevent the next one and you can live pain free, not be any kind of a burden on your loved ones and family, get back to work, and live the fulfilling life you want and deserve. My Kill Your Gout FOR GOOD program is a video-based program that took me hundreds of hours to produce. As you watch the videos (in the comfort of your home, on your time, anytime you want) you will come to understand that GOUT IS OPTIONAL - it is NOT something you need to live with forever. Gout CAN be prevented and I am right here to support you to be gout free - just like you used to be.
If you live in the Denver metro area (or even if you don't!) and you or anyone you know is struggling with gout, I would love for you to contact me. I offer personal gout pain consulting and I coach people one-on-one on how to live a gout free life through diet, nutrition and lifestyle.