As I said before, if you’ve had gout for any length of time, some of these natural remedies for gout are not going to be new to you. But maybe hearing about them one more time is what’s going to get you to take advantage of them.
If you do your research about what to do to terminate your gout (like I always ask you to), you’ll find a lot of whooping and hollering about some of these natural remedies for gout from both sides. So I’m putting it out here for you to decide.
Here We Go…Natural Remedies for Gout!
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is the oldest and most well-known of all natural remedies for gout. It helps raise the pH in our bodies to a higher alkaline level. That just brings us back to the alkaline vs acidic conversation. The more alkaline we can keep our pH, the lower we can naturally keep our (uric) acid levels. From way, way back there is talk about ACV curing everything from head to toe, and everything in-between.
- Baking Soda. To be perfectly honest with you, this got right past me back in the days that I had gout attacks. I wish I had known! But the “collective wisdom” out there on the internet states some really positive benefits from it for gout.
- Epsom Salts help move the uric acid out of the affected areas because it’s good for circulation and it helps to alkalize at the location of the gout attack. It goes right through the skin, into the blood and starts to neutralize the acidity. Who would have thought? The same stuff we take baths in after a hard day of skiing . . . lactic acid, uric acid – it’s all the same to Epsom salts.
- Work it. There have been plenty of mornings I woke up with a nasty attack in my ankle or wrist and just had to jump into my day anyway. It always seemed to help to just get moving. There are many reports out there that say to gently work (massage) the affected joint to help improve the blood flow and get the crystals to break up and move on. It’s painful just to write about it!
- Tart Cherry Juice is now in the news for all of the anti-inflammatory properties that make is an old time favorite as a natural remedy for gout. The types of antioxidants – flavonoids and anthocyanins – are the compounds of cherries and cherry juice that make it so effective for gouty arthritis.
. . .
The “remedy” of BS and ACV worked immediately as you said it would. A steady diet of banana-blueberry smoothies, green tea and celery on Day 2 has kept the swelling down. Not sure what caused the flare up as we eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, lean beef, chicken and fish, and moderate alcohol use. Your theory of too much acid, possibly caused by stress, makes sense. Will try lemon-infused water to make my body more alkaline – plus continue the bananas, celery and cherries. Other ideas welcome. The drugs the doctor prescribed were making me sick, so your remedy (other than the ACV ? was a welcome relief.
. . .
If You Head Down to the Health Food Store…
…there are a few good natural remedies for gout to pick up there that help to prevent and some for the attacks.
I had some pretty good luck with Arnica. I always had it around to ease the pain of over-used muscles and joints and it worked fairly-well with gout attacks but if they were really severe it didn’t always do the trick.
According to University of Maryland Medical Center, Belladonna is another good homeopathic remedy that is good for pain and inflammation.
Alfalfa is a good preventative herb that can hold down uric acid levels and keep the crystals from forming.
B Complex Vitamins are known to keep uric acid from becoming a gout-causing problem. Load up with higher than normal doses. (250 – 350mg)
- I hope that in addition to drinking lots of good water, eating good foods high in antioxidants, sleeping and resting well, you can prepare and prevent with natural remedies for gout.
Marius and Paula from www.self-healing-herbs.com also share a handful of natural remedies for gout and other herbal remedies for common health conditions. Just a quick insight – a gout treatment with dandelion tea will help eliminate excess uric acid through urine. Also, a paste from dried peppermint leaves will relieve the pain and significantly reduce the inflammation.
+ Remember! Natural remedies for gout get to the root cause of the problem and can help to terminate your gout…now.
SHARE THE LOVE!